Search Learn Dutch Online

learn dutch onlineDutch Object pronouns - het hem ze hen hun jou mij

From the last lesson we have learned about Dutch Subject pronouns. Dutch object pronouns (persoonwoord) is much like English. For example:
Ik zag haar.   -   I saw her. ( haar and her are object pronouns)
Ik gaf het haar.   -   I gave it to her.
Ik ken ze.   -   I know them.

Subject
Object

ik
I
mij/me
me
jij/je
you
jou/je
you
u
you
u
you
hij
he
hem
him
zij/ze
she
haar
her
het
it
het/hem*
it
wij/we
we
ons
us
jullie
you
jullie
you
zij/ze
they
hen/hun/ze**
them


Let op:

* It should use het or hem?
Het is used as a object (it in English) when refer for neuter or a nouns with article het-woord.

Het huis.
Ik heb het gekocht. - I have bought it.

Hem is used as a object (it in English) when refer for masculine or a nouns with article de-woord.

De bril.
Ik heb hem niet gezien. - I have not seen it.

** Them should use hen, hun or ze?
Hen and hun, both  are used refer to marked (specific) persons.
But hen is used for a direct object and a indirect object with preposition word (voorzetsel).

Ik heb het hun verteld.   -   I have told it them. (indirect object)
We verwachtten hen.   -   We expected them. (direct object)
Ik heb het aan hen verteld.   -   I have told it to them. (with preposition aan)

If it's confused you, then use hun is always correct. Dutch people always mix them up. But with a preposition hen is always used.

But for ze, using when refer to both things and non-specify persons.

Ik vind appels lekker.   -  I think apples delicious/nice.
Ik vind ze lekker.  -   I think them delicious (apples are delicious).
Ik draag ze (de schoenen) elke dag. - I wear them (shoes) everyday.
Hij ging met ze.   - He went with them (you don't know who).

Bijvoorbeeld:

Waar is mijn bril (de)?    Zie jij hem?
Zie je dat vliegtuig (het)?  ja, ik zie het.
Ken jij die man (de)?   ja, ik ken hem.
Waar zijn mijn schoenen?   Ik zie ze niet.
Vader boos op de kinderen. Hij geeft hun/ze een boek.
De fiets is kapot. Ik breng hem naar de fietsenmaker.
Ik ben mijn boek vergeten. Mag ik het even halen?
Apples zijn lekker. Ik koop ze vaak.
Jij bent erg aardig. Ik vind jou/je lief.